Tuesday 12 August 2014

Walla Crag

Walla Crag – Bleaberry fell

3.7 miles

I had a disagreement with some food last night and was feeling quite ill. It wanted to stay at home but that wasn’t going to stop me from getting out into the sun. So after performing some peristaltic pyrotechnics I headed off to Keswick.

Turns out it was probably right to stay at home. It was too hot. Too hot to deal with a stroppy stomach at least.

It was only going to be a fairly short walk of Walla Crag, Bleaberry fell and High Seat so up I rambled up from the NT car park below Walla Crag and followed Cat gill to the top. The south east shore of Derwent reminded me of the Alpines and sort of has an Indonesian islands look where forested cliffs drop straight into the water.  


Felt like many Med hikes I’ve been on
 The main path takes you up along the right hand side of a wall and hides the views all the way till you reach Walla Crag. This is a good thing because the Derwent and Keswick panorama explodes out in front of you as you step up onto the crag; though here is stile lower down in the woods that allows you to pop your head out for a sneaky peek.  




Derwent Water and Bassenthwaite lake

I stopped to replenish my strength and watched the cruise boats below and army aircraft fly by. You can see the whole of Keswick below you and you realise it is actually quite small and must have a planning convenant that all buildings be white.





Keswick with Skiddaw 

After a lengthy rest I headed off to Bleaberry fell which is a prominent mound on its own.  I promptly lost all my strength; boggy moorland does that. Luckily there was a path for a short distance as you approach the base and steps all the way up to the summit. Half way there was a rock that was smoothed perfectly as a seat with back rest so I put it to good use.

Bleaberry fell

Skiddaw and Blencathra
I turned my attention to the next peak, High Seat. I looked at the map, it was only 1mile away but I knew from previous walks the paths are not as clear as the map suggests and that it was all boggy moorland. I was too worn out for boggy moorland and a 3.5mile round return so returned my gaze to the Skiddaw and Blencathra view and guzzled all my drink I was desperate for.

I did notice though the words ‘Threefooted Brandreth’ near High Seat and remembered writing some weird blog about bears and yetis when I approached this area from Thirlmere. Looks like they were from a threefooted Brandreth...







No comments:

Post a Comment